Monday, December 8, 2008

Valkyrie

Here is a fun little spoof which illustrates most of my fears about the movie "Valkyrie" staring Tom Cruise.



The real thing comes out on December 25th, because nothing makes you feel the warmth and joy of the Christmas like a movie about Nazi's.

I'm not even sure I can recommend this as a fun movie for Jewish people to see while everyone else is off celebrating Christmas. I mean maybe they could change things around in the movie to make it seem like the operation was more of a success. During the actual July 20th plot a total of four Nazi's were killed, and five badly injured. Considering that there were about 24 people in the room where a bomb went off, and it barely even injured Hitler, it was kind of a failure. Operation Valkyrie was extremely noble in purpose, and the people who took part in organizing this attempt are heroes even if it didn't go as well as planned. But seriously now, I mean if I was a Jew on Christmas day I wouldn't want to see a movie about Hitler getting a little pissed because a couple of his buddies were killed. No, I would want to see lots of dead Nazi's and a severely injured Hitler crying like a little bitch curled up in the fetal position.

It's entirely possible that they will turn the movie into something with a higher Nazi body count, but who knows if they will be true to history or not. If they do change it, the movie will probably find more of an audience. After Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull severely disappointed me(in so many ways) with a lack of Nazi ass kickings this year someone has step in to fill the quota. While I understand the need to change history a bit for the audience, I'm not sure I like it. Yet we will just have to see the finished product in order to really judge.

I don't know it's just a weird choice of release date of you ask me. I mean don't they normally release happy upbeat things on Christmas Day you know comedy's, kids movies, romantic comedies, you know things like that. I can't seem to remember any big war movies ever coming out on Christmas.

No comments: