Saturday, December 20, 2008

Christmas Movies that I don't hate

Most of the time I save my holiday specials till the day of the actual event, yet for Christmas I found I had to do something different. Right now it seems like a lot of places are playing an almost constant stream of Christmas movies, and that would be all well and good if they were bothering to play halfway decent movies, but they are not.

I thought it would be fun to sit all the way through one of these Lifetime, Hallmark, or ABC family specials just to write a scathing review, but I couldn't even sit though them. During this season it's ok for things to be a bit sappy, we all want to see the couple get together in the end or see a family come back together but bad Christmas movies take it to an extreme. At the same time I don't want to see familys that are suffering too much, I don't want to see depressing movies, and I don't want to see things that are too far fetched.

In a veritable sea of bad Christmas movies I felt it my duty to point out that there are some good Christmas movies. You can have a movie that is sentimental without being maudlin, you can have a movie be funny without it being stupid, and you can have something that is actually fun for the whole family to watch. The list I have provided you with should safely guide you through the holiday season, without having to watch something awful.

I present to you a list of my favorite Christmas movies.

First and foremost there are fantastic Christmas classics that never get old. I'm not even going to bother writing descriptions here, if you have never seen these you need to get out and do so immediately.

"White Christmas." skip this only if you can't stand musicals.
"Miracle on 34th Street" (1947)
"It's a Wonderful Life"
"A Christmas Story" ok so this ones more of a modern Christmas Classic, but I feel it's going to stand the test of time.

A Christmas movie for the Kids

"A Muppet Christmas Carol"
The title realy says it all. You have Charles Dickens classic story A Christmas Carol, interpreted with the humor of the muppets. I loved it when I was a kid and I still think it's funny.

Family Friendly Christmas Comedy

"Christmas Vacation"

It is the quintessential tale of what happens when everything that can possibly go wrong at Christmas goes wrong. There are crazy relatives, a father that is way too overzealous in his decorating plans, trouble with the boss from work, and a few issues with wild animals. It is hands down my favorite of the "Vacation" series with Chevy Chase. This is the movie to watch if you have to deal with a crazy family this season.

"Elf"

Ok, ok so most people have seen this one it came out fairly recently. But it doesn't mean that it's not a good movie. Will Farrell is adorable in this movie, as a man who grew up thinking he was an elf. Buddy goes off to the US in search of his true identity. It's a really sweet and enjoyable story, but it managed to keep from getting overly sentimental. It's kind of goofy but it will definitely make you feel the Christmas Spirit.

The Christmas Romantic Comedies

"All I Want for Christmas"

This is the story of two kids who wand to get their divorced parents back together for Christmas. I know I know it sounds like one of the sappy lifetime movies, but it's very well done. The kids cook up a crazy plot, hilarity ensues, and in the end everyone wins. It has a really great cast featuring a young Thora Birch, Ethan Embry (that kid from Dutch), Kevin Nealon as the unlikeable man the mother is currently engaged to, and the always fabulous Lauren Bacall.

"Love Actually"

A bunch of intertwining love stories set around Christmas time. It's a cute movie with a phenomenal cast. Most of you have heard of it or even seen it, but as far as romantic Christmas movies go this is as good as it gets.

Also keep an eye on Hugh Grants tie during a scene where he is dancing around, it's the same color but they purposely changed the pattern in each shot.

If you feel like laughing at a Christmas Movie not with it.

"Babes in Toyland" (1986 version)

Keanu Reeves and Drew Barrymore in a crappy made for tv Christmas movie, thats right it actually exists. A young Drew Barrymore gets into a car accident and is taken away to Toyland where she has to stop an arranged marriage between Mary Contrary and the evil Barnaby Barnacle. naturally Mary Contrary's true love is Jack Be Nimble played by Keanu. Oh did I forget to mention that they meet Santa, who is played by Pat Morita aka Mr Miyagi. There are some slightly catchy songs, but overall this is a pretty terrible movie. Oh did I fail to mention this was also a musical.

This movie has gone so far wrong that it is actually kind of enjoyable to watch. I put this here for people who like to make fun of bad movies, but still wanted to feel the Christmas Spirit. I recommend loading up on eggnog before attempting to watch Babes in Toyland.

Here is a Trailer to give you a better idea of what "Babes in Toyland" is about.

1 comment:

Ramascreen.com said...

Definitely, LOVE ACTUALLY, that should go down as instant classic!



Rama's SCREEN
www.ramasscreen.com