Saturday, December 13, 2008

Cencorship part 2 : Electric Boogaloo

A few days ago I was watching "Kill Bill" on a regular cable network. As expected some things had to be taken out in order for it to be shown. Naturally some of the violence was toned down we didn't get to see O-Ren Ishii's brains, nor did we Elle Drivers eyeball after it was ripped out of her head. The movie was still pretty darn violent, and for the most part I agreed that some of the things they cut out in terms of violence made sense.

What was removed in terms of language puzzled me a bit.

I expected that they would have to change the name of the Bride stolen truck, "Pussy Wagon" to something less offensive, "Party Wagon wasn't a terrible choice in terms of substitution. They also decided to use "Party" as a substitution for the F word in several situations, most notably "Hi, my name is Buck and I'm here to Party." The substitution stole all the punch from that line. I think it would have been a lot better if they changed his name to fit the substituted line better. "Hi, My name is Marty and I'm here to Party." has more of a funny sleazy ring to it.

But enough with that and onto the man bizarre change in language. At the very end when The Bride kill's Bill (OMG spoilers!)there is a conversation about the technique used to kill Bill, and where she learned it. In true Quentin Tarentino fashion he gives Bill one of the coolest lines in either film.

"No. You're not a bad person. You're a terrific person. You're my favorite person, but every once in a while, you can be a real cunt."

It sums up everything about their relationship, and the kind of people they are. But naturally the dreaded "c" word can't be used on television. It's hard to find a word quite as abrasive and evocative as the "C" word, especially since it has to still pass censorship standards. All the same I think they could have done a bit better then what they came up with.

"No. You're not a bad person. You're a terrific person. You're my favorite person, but every once in a while, you can be a real fathead."

Fathead? Really? I mean I was thinking Jerk or bitch might have made some sense. I have never heard the term Fat Head used as an actual insult, that was not referring to someone with an abnormally sized noggin like John Travolta.

Fathead doesn't even have the humorous ring to it like Mellon Farmer. I mean if you can't just bleep it out I say go for the comedy. Try harder TNT try harder, your censorship is just not adding enough Drama or Comedy.

1 comment:

Nikoli said...

Sounds like 8 year olds... "You stupid poopy fathead!"

And Fathead is now a brand of lifesize posters...

Why not just "mute" the word instead. Or do some editing for the last second cutaway, "... a real c..."

I'm so glad you pointed out "Melon Farmer." We use it all the time now... :)