Tuesday, December 2, 2008

And the Nominees Are...

The Nominees for the 2009 Spirit Awards are out and you can see the full list here

http://www.ifc.com/film/film-news/2008/12/2009-independent-spirit-award.php

My choices for the Spirit awards?

Well to be honest none of them. I am sad to admit that I havn't seen a single one of them. There are no indie theaters near by. The closest one is an hour away and generally only plays one or two indie films. And even then they only play the movies that have been given tons of press already. Right now their two selection are "Milk" which got tons of press because of Sean Penn, and "Slumdog Millionaire" which has been getting a ton of press.

The only thing on the list that even played in a theater near me, was "Vicky Christina Barcelona" I couldn't watch it. I'm sorry Javier Bardem looks like a caveman, I just can't take him seriously when he plays a romantic role. I really don't get why he was voted one of People's Sexiest Men. Ok, he scares me I'll admit it. I just don't want to see his big caveman face on the big screen. Hey even serious film buffs like me are allowed to have their quirks.

I also have an irrational hatred of Nicholas Cage for reasons I don't fully understand. I think it's mostly his voice....

Back to the main points.

That's always the sadness for me and independent film. You never hear about anything until it's already won some big award. Of course if your lucky and live in a cool artsy city you do have the opportunity to see films like this. Yet for most of us we never get to be trendsetters in film, we simply have to wait till things have received their awards and pray that they somehow find their way to our local video store.

So maybe a year from now I will have gone out and seen all of the wonderful independent movies that were nominated for the Spirit Awards, more then likely I'll forget to see the overwhelming majority.

No comments: