Thursday, December 11, 2008

Golden Globe Nominees 2009, Predictions, rants, and raves.

You can see the official list here http://www.goldenglobes.org/news/id/104, or you could just look below and see the exact thing copied, pasted and commented on.

1. BEST MOTION PICTURE – DRAMA

a. THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON
This movie hasn't even come out yet for us proles. So I can't even feel bad about not having an opinion, although it looks good I do want to see it.
b. FROST/NIXON
Um this also hasn't come out yet to anyone but film critics.
c. THE READER
This one doesn't even get released till January WTF?
d. REVOLUTIONARY ROAD
Also does not come out till January
e. SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE
At last a nominee that has actually been released in theaters for people other then critics. Sadly I haven't seen it yet.

My Thoughts on this Category: I have this weird feeling it's all a big marketing scheme. They won't release the movies till there is a lot of buzz about them. I don't know, this certainly isn't the peoples choice awards but it would be nice to have movies the general population may have actually seen.

2. BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTRESS IN A MOTION PICTURE – DRAMA

a. ANNE HATHAWAY – RACHEL GETTING MARRIED
Haven't seen it yet. But I do like Ms Hathaway's other work, and I'm glad to see her in a movie that is getting some recognition.
b. ANGELINA JOLIE – CHANGELING
This movie looks way too upsetting for me to see.
c. MERYL STREEP – DOUBT
Also looks like a good movie, and Meryl Streep is a fantastic actress. But as a Catholic I'm not sure I want to see this movie.
d. KRISTIN SCOTT THOMAS – I'VE LOVED YOU SO LONG (IL Y A LONGTEMPS QUE JE T’AIME)
Never even heard of this movie before today
e. KATE WINSLET – REVOLUTIONARY ROAD
I love Kate Winslet. I can't comment on anything else really. Revolutionary road seems to be about a 50's couple who is deeply disastified with American suburban life. Looks like a pretty intense movie.

My Thoughts on This Category: Lots of talented women, in movies I don't want to watch because they seem too depressing. So essentially it's exactly what I would expect.

3. BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTOR IN A MOTION PICTURE – DRAMA

a. LEONARDO DICAPRIO – REVOLUTIONARY ROAD
Again he is a good actor
b. FRANK LANGELLA – FROST/NIXON
Um... looks like a cool movie.
c. SEAN PENN – MILK
Lot's of buzz about this performance. It has all the ingrediaents to be the winner of this category controversial subject, great actor, a heroic character taken from real life, and a character that is gay. I'm betting Sean Penn takes this category.
d. BRAD PITT – THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON
I'm kind of rooting for Brad Pitt here. The man is a really great actor, but his talent always seems to be overshadowed by his looks. Yet I haven't seen the movie so I can't judge.
e. MICKEY ROURKE – THE WRESTLER
Micky Rourke scares me, I can't look directly at his face. The man has had too much plastic surgery. I haven't seen the movie but I would call him the underdog of this category.

4. BEST MOTION PICTURE – COMEDY OR MUSICAL

a. BURN AFTER READING
Havn't seen this but I really wanted to.
b. HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
Never heard of this so I couldn't see it.
c. IN BRUGES
I know nothing about this movie.
d. MAMMA MIA!
You have to love a movie that came out with a sing along version in theaters. I havn't seen the movie, but I do love Abba
e. VICKY CRISTINA BARCELONA
Havn't seen it Javier Bardem scares me

My Comments on this Category: I always find it strange that the movies in this category are rarely the ones that made us laugh the hardest. They are the most critically acclaimed movies that can still be considered comedy. To be fair I haven't seen any of these but I would have likes to see "Tropic Thunder" up here.


5.BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTRESS IN A MOTION PICTURE – COMEDY OR MUSICAL

a. REBECCA HALL – VICKY CRISTINA BARCELONA
Never heard of her, can't have an opinion
b. SALLY HAWKINS – HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
Dito
c. FRANCES MCDORMAND – BURN AFTER READING
I love Frances McDormand
d. MERYL STREEP – MAMMA MIA!
I love Meryl Streep
e. EMMA THOMPSON – LAST CHANCE HARVEY
I love Emma Thompson

My Comments on this Category: Really I would be happy for anyone. I love it when a complete unknown takes away a big award, and I would also love it if one of my favorite actresses walked away with it.

6. BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTOR IN A MOTION PICTURE – COMEDY OR MUSICAL


a. JAVIER BARDEM – VICKY CRISTINA BARCELONA
He looks like a caveman, he does not get my vote in any movie where he is not killing people
b. COLIN FARRELL – IN BRUGES
Havn't seen it but I like Colin Farrell, and it's great to know he was in something other then a crappy action film.
c. JAMES FRANCO – PINEAPPLE EXPRESS
I was surprised to see his name here, "Pineapple Express" is not the type of movie they usually honor. In other words I am rooting for him. He was hilarious in Pineapple Express.
d. BRENDAN GLEESON – IN BRUGES
Don't know him Haven't seen it.
e. DUSTIN HOFFMAN – LAST CHANCE HARVEY
Dustin Hoffman is one of the greats, so I wouldn't be surprised if he gave an awesome performance in this. But again I haven't seen it so I have no clue.

My Comments on this Category: Go James Franco! Prove to the world that the stoner comedy is a legit genre, and that it can win awards. Sadly I don't think it will go to him.


7. BEST ANIMATED FEATURE FILM

a. BOLT
I refuse to see anything related to Miley Cyrus
b. KUNG FU PANDA
It was a very cute movie I liked it a lot, but traditionally Disney takes this award.
c. WALL-E
The concept of a robot love story seemed kind of weird to me. So did the idea of a childrens film about the Earth becoming a giant wasteland so utterly ruined that humans had to leave, humans live on in space as fat and stupid creatures so devoid of personality that machines are the only things worth watching. I know I know I'm being harsh, I'll watch it when it comes on TV. I'm sure it's a very cute and lovely story, but I just don't like the premise.

My comments: "Go Kung Fu Panda"! Congratulations to "WALL-E" for winning

8. BEST FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM

a. THE BAADER MEINHOF COMPLEX (GERMANY)
(DER BAADER MEINHOF KOMPLEX)
b. EVERLASTING MOMENTS (SWEDEN/DENMARK)
(MARIA LARSSONS EVIGA Ă–GONBLICK)
c. GOMORRAH (ITALY)
(GOMORRA)
d. I'VE LOVED YOU SO LONG (FRANCE)
(IL Y A LONGTEMPS QUE JE T’AIME)
e. WALTZ WITH BASHIR (ISRAEL)

My Comments on this category: I havn't seen or heard of any of these so I can't comment, sorry.

9. BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE IN A MOTION PICTURE
a. AMY ADAMS – DOUBT
Love Amy Adams, she seems so cheery she would make an awesome nun.
b. PENELOPE CRUZ – VICKY CRISTINA BARCELONA
No opinion
c. VIOLA DAVIS –DOUBT
Don't know her or the film
d. MARISA TOMEI – THE WRESTLER
Love Marisa Tomei, don't know much about the film.
e. KATE WINSLET – THE READER
Love Kate Winslet

My Comments on this category: I'm rooting for Amy Adams, Marisa Tomei, and Kate Winslet for no particular reason.

10. BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE IN A MOTION PICTURE

a. TOM CRUISE – TROPIC THUNDER
He totally stole the show in every scene he was in. Normally I find Tom Cruise kind of annoying but he was hilarious in this.
b. ROBERT DOWNEY JR. –TROPIC THUNDER
A great performance. Can we just step back and appreciate the sheer balls it takes to be a white actor who performs as a white actor playing a black man. He did it, and he did it so well that no angry mops came after him with pitch forks. Thats saying something.
c. RALPH FIENNES – THE DUCHESS
Great actor but I haven't seen it.
d. PHILIP SEYMOUR HOFFMAN – DOUBT
I love Philip Seymour Hoffman but I can't seem to make myself root for someone who is probably playing a pedophile.
e. HEATH LEDGER – THE DARK KNIGHT
Ok, this is hands down the man I want to win. Not because he is dead, it's because he absolutely deserves it. No one else could have given this performance he was fearless, terrifying, yet utterly captivating in this role.

My Comments on this Category: I will be angry if anyone but Heath Ledger wins this.

11. BEST DIRECTOR – MOTION PICTURE


a. DANNY BOYLE – SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE
b. STEPHEN DALDRY – THE READER
c. DAVID FINCHER – THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON
d. RON HOWARD – FROST/NIXON
e. SAM MENDES – REVOLUTIONARY ROAD

My Comments: Haven't any of these can't judge how they did. I was able to judge more with acting categories because Actors tend to give far more reliable performances then directors. After all who would believe that the man who created a masterpiece like "Schindlers List" was also capable of creating a giant pile of crap like "Indiana Jones Kingdom of the Crystal Skull." A directors style can vary drastically depending on the story they are set to tell, so I'll hold my judgment on this one.

12. BEST SCREENPLAY – MOTION PICTURE


a. SIMON BEAUFOY – SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE
b. DAVID HARE – THE READER
c. PETER MORGAN – FROST/NIXON
d. ERIC ROTH – THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN
e. JOHN PATRICK SHANLEY – DOUBT

My Comments on this category: I can't comment.

13. BEST ORIGINAL SCORE – MOTION PICTURE


a. ALEXANDRE DESPLAT –THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON
b. CLINT EASTWOOD – CHANGELING
c. JAMES NEWTON HOWARD – DEFIANCE
d. A. R. RAHMAN – SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE
e. HANS ZIMMER – FROST/NIXON

My Comments on this Category: I can't comment

14. BEST ORIGINAL SONG – MOTION PICTURE

a. “DOWN TO EARTH” — WALL-E
Music by: Peter Gabriel, Thomas Newman
Lyrics by: Peter Gabriel
b. “GRAN TORINO” — GRAN TORINO
Music by: Clint Eastwood, Jamie Cullum, Kyle Eastwood, Michael Stevens
Lyrics by: Jamie Cullum
c. “I THOUGHT I LOST YOU” — BOLT
Music & Lyrics by: Miley Cyrus, Jeffrey Steele
d. “ONCE IN A LIFETIME” — CADILLAC RECORDS
Music & Lyrics by: Beyoncé Knowles, Amanda Ghost, Scott McFarnon, Ian Dench, James Dring, Jody Street
e. “THE WRESTLER” — THE WRESTLER
Music & Lyrics by: Bruce Springsteen

My Comments on this Category: A lot of good songs tend to be ignored just because they are in movies that weren't nominated. I consider "Iris" from the City of Angels soundtrack, and the entire score of "Queen of the Damned" not being nominated some of the biggest snubs of all times. While this particular song is nowhere near as good as some songs of years past I think "Little Things" from the Wanted soundtrack should have gotten a nomination


15. BEST TELEVISION SERIES – DRAMA

a. DEXTER (SHOWTIME)
A show about a serial killer killing other killers, brilliant! I love this show, the third season is not as strong as seasons 1 and 2, but all the same it definitely is deserving of this nomination.
b. HOUSE (FOX)
I love House. It's a great show but I don't think it will walk away with the prize this year. It's still great but it's still the same old stuff.
c. IN TREATMENT (HBO)
never heard of it, and I get HBO
d. MAD MEN (AMC)
I keep hearing great reviews but I have yet to meet anyone who actually watches this show.
e. TRUE BLOOD (HBO)
Despite a distinct lack of Bubba, I absolutely love this show.

My Comments on this Category: I'm really rooting for True Blood, it would be great for a new and quirky show like this to get an award.


16. BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTRESS IN A TELEVISION SERIES – DRAMA

a. SALLY FIELD – BROTHERS AND SISTERS
I Don't watch the show
b. MARISKA HARGITAY –LAW AND ORDER: SPECIAL VICTIMS UNIT
I Don't watch the show
c. JANUARY JONES – MAD MEN
I Don't watch the Show
d. ANNA PAQUIN – TRUE BLOOD
I think Anna Paquin does a really good job of playing a character who appears to be a very simple straightforward southern waitress, but is really quite complicated. I don't think everyone could pull off a role with such a mix of sweetness and strength.
e. KYRA SEDGWICK – THE CLOSER
Hasn't she won enough awards for this role?

My Comments on this Category: Go Sookie, I mean Anna Paquin


17. BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTOR IN A TELEVISION SERIES – DRAMA

a. GABRIEL BYRNE – IN TREATMENT
I Don't watch it
b. MICHAEL C. HALL – DEXTER
He makes a sociopathic killer lovable, that deserves an award.
c. JON HAMM – MAD MEN
I don't watch it
d. HUGH LAURIE – HOUSE
Love Hugh Laurie, He was born to play this role.
e. JONATHAN RHYS MEYERS – THE TUDORS
I still think he was a bad casting choice for Henry VIII, but he does a good job of showing how power corrupts a good man.

My Comments on this section: I'm rooting for Micheal C. Hall, but I have a strange feeling the guy from Mad Men will get it. The critics really seem to love that show.


18. BEST TELEVISION SERIES – COMEDY OR MUSICAL


a. 30 ROCK (NBC)
It's a decent show but it's not one of my favorites.
b. CALIFORNICATION (SHOWTIME)
No desire to watch this
c. ENTOURAGE (HBO)
I really like this show, thats about all I can say.
d. THE OFFICE (NBC)
I know a lot of people will hate me for this but I don't think The Office is that funny. I hate the type of humor where things are purposely made so embarrassing and awkward that you laugh, it's just not my sense of humor.
e. WEEDS (SHOWTIME)
I like Weeds a lot but honestly this season I feel as if it deserved to be in the Drama category. I laugh at Dexter more then I did at this season of Weeds.

My Comments on this Category: I'm sorry It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia deserves a nomination. It is by far the funniest show on tv. To a casual viewer it may seem pretty lowbrow, but it makes fun of itself constantly and is extremely daring in it's approach to topics. If you haven't seen this show go watch it.


19.BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTRESS IN A TELEVISION SERIES –COMEDY OR MUSICAL

a. CHRISTINA APPLEGATE – SAMANTHA WHO?
b. AMERICA FERRERA – UGLY BETTY
c. TINA FEY – 30 ROCK
d. DEBRA MESSING – THE STARTER WIFE
e. MARY-LOUISE PARKER – WEEDS

My Comments on this Category: I have no clue about who is going to win this one. Nor do I feel like rooting for anyone in particular. The only show I really watch here is Weeds, but I have seen all of these actresses in other things and they are all very capable funny women.


20. BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTOR IN A TELEVISION SERIES – COMEDY OR MUSICAL

a. ALEC BALDWIN – 30 ROCK
b. STEVE CARELL – THE OFFICE
c. KEVIN CONNOLLY – ENTOURAGE
d. DAVID DUCHOVNY – CALIFORNICATION
e. TONY SHALHOUB – MONK

My Comments on this section: Rooting for Alec Baldwin


21. BEST MINI-SERIES OR MOTION PICTURE MADE FOR TELEVISION


a. A RAISIN IN THE SUN (ABC)
Sony Pictures Television, Storyline Entertainment, and Bad Boy Worldwide Entertainment
b. BERNARD AND DORIS (HBO
Trigger Street Independent Productions in association with Little Bird and Chicago Films and HBO Films
c. CRANFORD (PBS)
A Co-Production of BBC and WGBH Boston.
d. JOHN ADAMS (HBO)
Playtone in association with HBO Films
e. RECOUNT (HBO)
Spring Creek/Mirage Productions in association with Trigger Street Productions, Everyman Pictures and HBO Films

My Comments in this Category: Haven't seen any of these


22. BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTRESS IN A MINI-SERIES OR MOTION PICTURE MADE FOR TELEVISION

a. JUDI DENCH – CRANFORD
b. CATHERINE KEENER – AN AMERICAN CRIME
c. LAURA LINNEY – JOHN ADAMS
d. SHIRLEY MACLAINE – COCO CHANEL
e. SUSAN SARANDON – BERNARD AND DORIS


My Comments in this Category: Haven't seen any of these

23. BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTOR IN A MINI-SERIES OR MOTION PICTURE MADE FOR TELEVISION


a. RALPH FIENNES – BERNARD AND DORIS
b. PAUL GIAMATTI – JOHN ADAMS
c. KEVIN SPACEY – RECOUNT
d. KIEFER SUTHERLAND – 24: REDEMPTION
e. TOM WILKINSON – RECOUNT


My Comments in this Category: Haven't seen any of these


24. BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE IN A SERIES, MINI-SERIES OR MOTION PICTURE MADE FOR TELEVISION

a. EILEEN ATKINS – CRANFORD
b. LAURA DERN – RECOUNT
c. MELISSA GEORGE – IN TREATMENT
d. RACHEL GRIFFITHS – BROTHERS AND SISTERS
e. DIANNE WIEST – IN TREATMENT


My Comments in this Category: Haven't seen any of these, nor do I know any of the actresses


25. BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE IN A SERIES, MINI-SERIES OR MOTION PICTURE MADE FOR TELEVISION

a. NEIL PATRICK HARRIS – HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER
b. DENIS LEARY – RECOUNT
c. JEREMY PIVEN – ENTOURAGE
He is great but he has won this award for this role too many times, time to pass on the torch.
d. BLAIR UNDERWOOD – IN TREATMENT
e. TOM WILKINSON – JOHN ADAMS

My Comments in this Category: I haven't seen anything but Entourage, but I'm rooting for Neil Patrick Harris because of his Performance in "Dr. Horribles Sing Along Blog"

No comments: