Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Twilight

I have gotten some comments from my friends about the Twilight Review.

I have to say now that I think about it, the movie is better then the book. But of course that doesn't mean it's a great movie.

The movie amplified my biggest problem with the book, which was the ridiculous obsessive codependent relationship between Edward and Bella.

I read the book back in '06 before it was cool. And somehow I forgot that the movie did take away a lot of the really terrible scenes like ones about Bella getting drunk off of Edwards very presence. Not to mention a few other scenes that were equally as ridiculous. It also made the characters slightly more likeable.

Yea I really do mean that Edward and Bella were even bigger ....I don't even know the right words to describe it

Douchebags, sticks in the mud, pompous, pathetic, creepy, emo as hell

I don' know take your pick from the above list.

Anyway the movie is a step up from the book IF your problem with the book is a technical storytelling one. My problem with the book is really more because I'm a feminist and I disagree with anyone glorifying a completely unhealthy romantic relationship. I hate the whole Bella/Edward relationship.

But in the name of being fair to the movie. It does make some improvements from the book.

But that ain't saying much as far as I am concerned.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, sorry I couldn't get in on the original Twilight entry, but as I've been saying since I saw that movie, the director doesn't deserve an Oscar, but they deserves a MEDAL. They took a horrible godawful book and made it a generally entertaining movie. Like, they condensed that entire chapter-long discussion of "Guess what I am." "No, it's embarassing." "I swear I won't laugh." "Whah whah Spiders." "Ha ha ha." to "Say it." "Vampire." Instead of being whiny and obsessive and blushy all the time, Bella was kind of artistic, aloof, and quiet. And Edward uses less stupid flowery language. And Emmett is awesome. Like REALLY awesome. And Laurent is a sexy black man with dreadlocks and a Haitian accent.

You would have liked it better if you saw it with us. We made snarktastic t-shirts ("I can't believe you missed the game last night just to watch somebody sleep. -Team Emmett-"), snuck in booze, went to a late showing that was light on the Twihards and heavy on the loling, and just spent the whole show in fits of giggles whenever Edward made that constipated I'm-so-dark-and-tortured face.

But yeah. Bella is a twat. Edward is a douchebag. Together they make a super twatbag codependent sandwich. The movie couldn't fix THAT much.