Friday, January 16, 2009

Sometimes I really hate my local movie theater. Allow me to show you why I haven't seen many award winning/nominated films this year. Here is tonight's line up at the nearest movie theater (26 Minutes away), currently the selection is worse the usual but that is only due to the lack of decent comedy or action films out at the moment.

My choices tonight are between

"Bedtime Stories"- It looks cute but I'm not paying $10 to see a kids film, especially not a kids film with Adam Sandler. I am still pissed at him for the atrocity that was "8 crazy nights"

"Marley&Me": Spoiler: The Dog dies. Sorry if I ruined it for you but now that you know the ending do you really want to see it. No, there is no way in hell I am watching that.

Paul Blart Mall Cop: No, just no

"Hotel For Dogs": Again it looks like a cute kids film but I'm not paying this much to see it on the big screen.

"My Bloody Valentine": I only like horror films that are so terrible they loose any sense of scariness. This looks like a bad horror film that will probably be a bit scary, and I do not want to spend the evening with 3-d axes flying at my head.

"The Unborn": Does it bother anyone else that "the unborn" twin brother in the commercials looks about 10. If he is the lead girls twin then he should either be an evil fetus, or the exact same age as her. Where in the hell did they decide it made sense to have the unborn magically age half as fast as the living, I don't get it. And I hate scary movies. So that's a big no.

"Bride Wars": This is probably what I will end up going to see, unless I can talk my friend into going to another theater. I like Anne Hathaway, and I keep praying that Kate Hudson will one day show the talent she had in "Almost Famous." It looks like a fun mindless romantic comedy, it should be fun to watch. It is a girls night out after, and this has chick flick written all over it.

The only serious movie at this place is Grand Torino, which I have already promised to see with my Dad, so I can't see that tonight.

If we go to the next closest movie theater (34 minutes away) we have the added options of

"Yes Man": How about, no man. It's one of those things I might watch if it comes on HBO I'm not paying a cent to see that.

"Definace": Actually this looks pretty good.

"Inkheart": Looks like a cool concept, but I find myself weary of anything staring Brendan Frasier. I think I'll wait till this one comes out for rental.

Ah the woes of living in hicksville

EDIT: Expect a review of Bride Wars sometime in the near future.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I maintain an acceptance of Brendan Frasier's movies for the sole reason that he doesn't take himself at all seriously in them. If he played The Mummy, for instance, as if it were a serious role, it would have sucked. But it was entertaining, so by extension...