Sunday, January 11, 2009

Results of the 2009 Golden Globe Awards

1. BEST MOTION PICTURE – DRAMA

The Nominees are
a. THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON
b. FROST/NIXON
c. THE READER
d. REVOLUTIONARY ROAD
e. SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE

Winner: "Slumdog Millionaire"

My Thoughts: I had no predictions for this category originally as I posted predictions on the 11th and none of the movies (excluding "Slumdog Millionaire" which was not playing anywhere locally) had actually come out at this point. I am very happy that a smaller film like Slumdog won.

2. BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTRESS IN A MOTION PICTURE – DRAMA

Nominees
a. ANNE HATHAWAY – RACHEL GETTING MARRIED
b. ANGELINA JOLIE – CHANGELING
c. MERYL STREEP – DOUBT
d. KRISTIN SCOTT THOMAS – I'VE LOVED YOU SO LONG (IL Y A LONGTEMPS QUE JE T’AIME)
e. KATE WINSLET – REVOLUTIONARY ROAD

The Winner is Kate Winslet

Comments: See above comment about none of the films being out at the time I made my predictions, add to it the fact that I have difficulty working up the will to see movies that look as depressing as these ones happen to. However I love Kate Winslet, and I am very happy for her.


3. BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTOR IN A MOTION PICTURE – DRAMA

a. LEONARDO DICAPRIO – REVOLUTIONARY ROAD
b. FRANK LANGELLA – FROST/NIXON
c. SEAN PENN – MILK
d. BRAD PITT – THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON
e. MICKEY ROURKE – THE WRESTLER

Winner: Mickey Rourke

Comments: I honestly thought that Sean Penn was going to win this. My second bet was on Brad Pitt, and I doubt anyone would deny that tonight the long shot won the race. For the record Mickey Rourke still scares me a bit, but I'm glad his career is .... well a career again.

4. BEST MOTION PICTURE – COMEDY OR MUSICAL

a. BURN AFTER READING
b. HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
c. IN BRUGES
d. MAMMA MIA!
e. VICKY CRISTINA BARCELONA

The Winner is: Vicky Christina Barcelona

Comments: I didn't see any of these so I had no real opinion. I really want to see most of them, except for the winner. Why you ask, because Javier Bardem looks like a caveman. Again I kind of wish Tropic Thunder had been nominated because it was hilarious, and it was also a pretty brilliant satire on Hollywood.

5.BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTRESS IN A MOTION PICTURE – COMEDY OR MUSICAL

a. REBECCA HALL – VICKY CRISTINA BARCELONA
b. SALLY HAWKINS – HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
c. FRANCES MCDORMAND – BURN AFTER READING
d. MERYL STREEP – MAMMA MIA!
e. EMMA THOMPSON – LAST CHANCE HARVEY

Winner: Sally Hawkins

Comments: I did not get to see any of these movies, however I always love it when a relative unknown wins the prize. I couldn't help but be moved when she gave her speech because you could tell she absolutely did not expect to win this.

6. BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTOR IN A MOTION PICTURE – COMEDY OR MUSICAL

a. JAVIER BARDEM – VICKY CRISTINA BARCELONA
b. COLIN FARRELL – IN BRUGES
c. JAMES FRANCO – PINEAPPLE EXPRESS
d. BRENDAN GLEESON – IN BRUGES
e. DUSTIN HOFFMAN – LAST CHANCE HARVEY

Winner: Colin Farrel

My Comments on this Category: I have to admit I was really rooting for James Franco here, I knew the odds were against a stoner comedy walking away with any serious awards but I couldn't help but hope. Anyway I am glad that Colin Farrell has won his first serious (in my own opinion Oscars, Golden Globes, Emmy's, Screen Actors Guild Awards, or Critics Choice awards) American award. Maybe now he will start showing off his talent and stop making things like "Miami Vice"

7. BEST ANIMATED FEATURE FILM

a. BOLT
b. KUNG FU PANDA
c. WALL-E

Winner: WALL-E

My comments: Yes, I correctly predicted this one. Although I admitted that I personally was rooting for "Kung Fu Panda" I knew Wall-E had this one in the bag.

8. BEST FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM

a. THE BAADER MEINHOF COMPLEX (GERMANY)
(DER BAADER MEINHOF KOMPLEX)
b. EVERLASTING MOMENTS (SWEDEN/DENMARK)
(MARIA LARSSONS EVIGA ÖGONBLICK)
c. GOMORRAH (ITALY)
(GOMORRA)
d. I'VE LOVED YOU SO LONG (FRANCE)
(IL Y A LONGTEMPS QUE JE T’AIME)
e. WALTZ WITH BASHIR (ISRAEL)

Winner: Waltz With Bashir

My Comments on this category: I haven't seen or heard of any of these before the nominations so I can't comment, sorry. However I will say that I was moved by the speech given, the director (or possibly producer) said that he truly wished that by the time the children born during the making of this film grew up the film would seem very ancient and outdated.

9. BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE IN A MOTION PICTURE
a. AMY ADAMS – DOUBT
b. PENELOPE CRUZ – VICKY CRISTINA BARCELONA
c. VIOLA DAVIS –DOUBT
d. MARISA TOMEI – THE WRESTLER
e. KATE WINSLET – THE READER

Winner: Kate Winslet

My Comments on this category: I was rooting for several actresses in this category, and I must say I was happy that one of the three I was rooting for won. It was a big night for Mrs Winslet.

10. BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE IN A MOTION PICTURE

a. TOM CRUISE – TROPIC THUNDER
b. ROBERT DOWNEY JR. –TROPIC THUNDER
c. RALPH FIENNES – THE DUCHESS
d. PHILIP SEYMOUR HOFFMAN – DOUBT
e. HEATH LEDGER – THE DARK KNIGHT

Winner: Heath Ledger

Comments: Originally I said that I will be angry if anyone but Heath Ledger wins this, fortunately the Hollywood foreign press has not let me down. Heath Deserved this award.

11. BEST DIRECTOR – MOTION PICTURE

a. DANNY BOYLE – SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE
b. STEPHEN DALDRY – THE READER
c. DAVID FINCHER – THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON
d. RON HOWARD – FROST/NIXON
e. SAM MENDES – REVOLUTIONARY ROAD

Winner: Danny Boyle

My Comments: I hadn't seen any of these so I couldn't have any opinions. But I am very glad to see that Slumdog was so successful tonight.

12. BEST SCREENPLAY – MOTION PICTURE

a. SIMON BEAUFOY – SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE
b. DAVID HARE – THE READER
c. PETER MORGAN – FROST/NIXON
d. ERIC ROTH – THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN
e. JOHN PATRICK SHANLEY – DOUBT

Winner: Simon Beaufoy "Slumdog Millionaire"

Comments: See above comment.

13. BEST ORIGINAL SCORE – MOTION PICTURE

a. ALEXANDRE DESPLAT –THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON
b. CLINT EASTWOOD – CHANGELING
c. JAMES NEWTON HOWARD – DEFIANCE
d. A. R. RAHMAN – SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE
e. HANS ZIMMER – FROST/NIXON

Winner: A. R. Rahman Slumdog Millionaire

Comments: see above comment

14. BEST ORIGINAL SONG – MOTION PICTURE

a. “DOWN TO EARTH” — WALL-E
Music by: Peter Gabriel, Thomas Newman
Lyrics by: Peter Gabriel
b. “GRAN TORINO” — GRAN TORINO
Music by: Clint Eastwood, Jamie Cullum, Kyle Eastwood, Michael Stevens
Lyrics by: Jamie Cullum
c. “I THOUGHT I LOST YOU” — BOLT
Music & Lyrics by: Miley Cyrus, Jeffrey Steele
d. “ONCE IN A LIFETIME” — CADILLAC RECORDS
Music & Lyrics by: Beyoncé Knowles, Amanda Ghost, Scott McFarnon, Ian Dench, James Dring, Jody Street
e. “THE WRESTLER” — THE WRESTLER
Music & Lyrics by: Bruce Springsteen

Winner: The Boss, Bruce Springsteen

My Comments on this Category: I can't really comment once again.

15. BEST TELEVISION SERIES – DRAMA

a. DEXTER (SHOWTIME)
b. HOUSE (FOX)
c. IN TREATMENT (HBO)
d. MAD MEN (AMC)
e. TRUE BLOOD (HBO)

Winner: Mad Men

My Comments on this Category: I was really rooting for True Blood, instead the award went to a show I really don't watch. Maybe I will have to start watching Mad Men because I have only heard good things about it, then again I don't know a single person who watches it.


16. BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTRESS IN A TELEVISION SERIES – DRAMA

a. SALLY FIELD – BROTHERS AND SISTERS
b. MARISKA HARGITAY –LAW AND ORDER: SPECIAL VICTIMS UNIT
c. JANUARY JONES – MAD MEN
d. ANNA PAQUIN – TRUE BLOOD
e. KYRA SEDGWICK – THE CLOSER

Winner: Anna Paquin

My Comments on this Category: I didn't predict this one but I was really rooting for Anna Paquin. Sookie is a character with a lot of layers, and she did a great job.

17. BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTOR IN A TELEVISION SERIES – DRAMA

a. GABRIEL BYRNE – IN TREATMENT
b. MICHAEL C. HALL – DEXTER
c. JON HAMM – MAD MEN
d. HUGH LAURIE – HOUSE
e. JONATHAN RHYS MEYERS – THE TUDORS

Winner: Gabriel Byrne

My Comments on this section: Eh it didn't go to my favorite shows, but I haven't seen in Treatment so I can't really complain.

18. BEST TELEVISION SERIES – COMEDY OR MUSICAL

a. 30 ROCK (NBC)
b. CALIFORNICATION (SHOWTIME)
c. ENTOURAGE (HBO)
d. THE OFFICE (NBC)
e. WEEDS (SHOWTIME)

Winner: 30 Rock
Winner: Best Speech of the night: Tracy Morgan

My Comments on this Category: I'm not too surprised with the result here. 30 rock is a good show, however I still think "It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia" deserved a nomination.

19.BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTRESS IN A TELEVISION SERIES –COMEDY OR MUSICAL

a. CHRISTINA APPLEGATE – SAMANTHA WHO?
b. AMERICA FERRERA – UGLY BETTY
c. TINA FEY – 30 ROCK
d. DEBRA MESSING – THE STARTER WIFE
e. MARY-LOUISE PARKER – WEEDS

Winner: Tina Fey
Winner: Second Best Speech of the night

My Comments on this Category: I had no favorite i this category as I really like all of the actresses. I'm glad Tina Fey got it, she gave a very fun speech.

20. BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTOR IN A TELEVISION SERIES – COMEDY OR MUSICAL

a. ALEC BALDWIN – 30 ROCK
b. STEVE CARELL – THE OFFICE
c. KEVIN CONNOLLY – ENTOURAGE
d. DAVID DUCHOVNY – CALIFORNICATION
e. TONY SHALHOUB – MONK

Winner: Alec Baldwin

My Comments on this section: I was rooting for Alec Baldwin, and he got it. So I'm happy.

21. BEST MINI-SERIES OR MOTION PICTURE MADE FOR TELEVISION

a. A RAISIN IN THE SUN (ABC)
Sony Pictures Television, Storyline Entertainment, and Bad Boy Worldwide Entertainment
b. BERNARD AND DORIS (HBO
Trigger Street Independent Productions in association with Little Bird and Chicago Films and HBO Films
c. CRANFORD (PBS)
A Co-Production of BBC and WGBH Boston.
d. JOHN ADAMS (HBO)
Playtone in association with HBO Films
e. RECOUNT (HBO)
Spring Creek/Mirage Productions in association with Trigger Street Productions, Everyman Pictures and HBO Films

Winner: John Adams

My Comments in this Category: Haven't seen any of these so I couldn't really have an opinion.

22. BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTRESS IN A MINI-SERIES OR MOTION PICTURE MADE FOR TELEVISION

a. JUDI DENCH – CRANFORD
b. CATHERINE KEENER – AN AMERICAN CRIME
c. LAURA LINNEY – JOHN ADAMS
d. SHIRLEY MACLAINE – COCO CHANEL
e. SUSAN SARANDON – BERNARD AND DORIS

Winner: Laura Linney

My Comments in this Category: Haven't seen any of these so I couldn't form opinions. However I have liked Laura Linney in just about everything I have seen her in, I'm glad her work has finally gotten recognized.

23. BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTOR IN A MINI-SERIES OR MOTION PICTURE MADE FOR TELEVISION

a. RALPH FIENNES – BERNARD AND DORIS
b. PAUL GIAMATTI – JOHN ADAMS
c. KEVIN SPACEY – RECOUNT
d. KIEFER SUTHERLAND – 24: REDEMPTION
e. TOM WILKINSON – RECOUNT

Winner: Paul Giamatti

My Comments in this Category: Haven't seen any of these so I had no opinion.

24. BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE IN A SERIES, MINI-SERIES OR MOTION PICTURE MADE FOR TELEVISION

a. EILEEN ATKINS – CRANFORD
b. LAURA DERN – RECOUNT
c. MELISSA GEORGE – IN TREATMENT
d. RACHEL GRIFFITHS – BROTHERS AND SISTERS
e. DIANNE WIEST – IN TREATMENT

Winner: Laura Dern

My Comments in this Category: Haven't seen any of these, nor do I know any of the actresses other work so I have no opinion.

25. BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE IN A SERIES, MINI-SERIES OR MOTION PICTURE MADE FOR TELEVISION

a. NEIL PATRICK HARRIS – HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER
b. DENIS LEARY – RECOUNT
c. JEREMY PIVEN – ENTOURAGE
d. BLAIR UNDERWOOD – IN TREATMENT
e. TOM WILKINSON – JOHN ADAMS

Winner: Tom Wilkinson

Comments: Again I haven't seen any of these so I had no opinion.

Please note when I say I have no opinion it's not meant as a negative or a cut on the award winners in any way shape of form. It's a genuine neutral. I just don't know enough to form an opinion on the subject.

Hopefully I'll be able to get out and see a few more movies before the Oscars roll around. That way I can be a better judge, although the Golden Globes do tend to be a good predictor for who will win the Oscars.

1 comment:

RC said...

you will definitly have to start watching mad men...and hopefully by the time the Oscars are out everyone will have a chance to see the nominees.