Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Reality TV Limbo

It's that odd time of the season where we are in Television Limbo. All of the scripted shows have ended their fall seasons, but the new spring lineup has yet to start. While I wait for the return of some beloved shows (such as "Big Love", "The Tutors", "Heroes", and many more) I am stuck with nothing to watch except for repeats and reality tv.

Of course the reality shows are the only shows with new episodes. Mama's Boys is quite entertaining for a rather trashy guilty pleasure of a show. I especially enjoy the show when I discuss it with my own mother, who always brings a different perspective to the show then I do.

I also like Superstars of Dance,although I myself am a terrible dancer I love to watch dance. This show is not as good as "So You Think You Can Dance" but it's entertaining and has some really talented people. The show also brings a few things that you would never see anywhere else. I am totally looking forward to the dance off next Monday between the hip hop dance group the Groovaloos from the USA, and a bunch of Shaolin Monks. There is bout to be some mind blowing craziness that occurs with a combo like that .

The American Idol audition episodes are entertaining as always. I never end up watching the finalists compete, for me it's all about getting to see the crazy people who try out. Although I must say I think Simon has gotten nicer sine the show began, and this is not necessarily a good thing. I also think Paula has gotten crazier since the show started but she appears to be having fun, and I kind of want to be on whatever type of happy pills that woman is taking.

There are a lot of shows I just can't bring myself to watch, "Double Shot of love" is just too skanky, "The Bachelor" is just too sappy, "Tool Academy" makes me hate men, and "Rock of Love" Tour Bus makes me hate humanity.

The only other reality show worth watching is "Top Chef". It's one of those positive reality shows that takes really talented people and helps them hone their skills so they can become better. This seasons cast seems to worse then previous seasons in terms of talent, with each challenge there seem to be more people with terrible dishes then there are ones with really great ones. However some of the personalities this season are a bit more exciting, for the first time there seems to be a bit of romance (between two people who were not previously involved), and best of all they have a look alike.

From the beginning I liked Carla and I couldn't quite figure out why. Certainly she seems like a nice woman, she always works well in teams (unlike Stefan), the type of food she makes usually looks pretty good. But that didn't explain the joy I felt whenever I saw her. Tonight it dawned on me, she looked like someone important from my past.

Allow me to demonstrate




She looks like Red my favorite Fraggle. How can you not love someone that looks like a character from "Fraggle Rock".

Hopefully this weekend I'll be able to go out and see a new movie, till then it looks like a lot of tv reviews from me. Unless of course someone gives me a topic to rant on. I am always open for suggestions to rant on movies, actors, actresses, directors. If I have seen it I will do my best to rant about it for you.

2 comments:

Nikoli said...

Fraggles rule! Doozers were my favorite though...

I HATE reality tv. I won't watch it. I am proud to have never seen more than 5 minutes of ANY Survivor series...

Well, I guess HGTV has alot of "reality" tv doesn't it... so technically, I watch alot of it. Crap...

RenegadeFilmSnob said...

Good for you. Sometimes I feel a bit guilty about my reality tv addiction, especially not that it has become in many ways a more popular and lucrative form of entertainment from the TV studios.

I don't consider things from HGTV to really be Reality TV. I think they fall more into the category of documentary or educational programing. They don't usually give away prizes, or play with peoples emotions in order for the show to work.