Thursday, January 22, 2009

LOST season premier

I feel even less qualified to write about "LOST" then I am to write about "Heroes." At least with heroes I have been a fan from the beginning and seen each episode in order, making me an expert on the mythology of the series. With a vast knowledge of the heroes universe, I can sometimes I can sidestep my fangirl tendencies and really analyze the shows in an academic fashion.

"Lost" is a horse of a different color. I didn't start watching it for a few years after it first came out, I have missed a lot of episodes, and I have not been cataloging clues obsessively. Without expert knowledge I can't ground myself and analyze the show.

For the whole two hours of the first show I was sitting on the edge of the seat, eyes glued on the screen, and never daring to miss a second of the action by flipping to another channel during commercials.

"Lost" is really exciting because it's one of those shows that not only makes you want to go back and watch old episodes, new meanings can actually be found when you rewatch old episodes. It reveals enough of it's mysteries to make you have "ah-ha" moments, and keeps things murky enough to make you keep watching in the hopes of figuring things out.

I shall do my best to write a spoiler free review ... which with a show like "LOST" means I can't say a hell of a lot.

The new season started off by revealing what happened when the island made the big bloop and disappeared.

Side note somehow I feel as if the producers were inspired by the big mysterious bloop of 1997. Seriously check it out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloop

We also got to see how the Oceanic 6 survived, and some events that occurred before they reached the main land. Story time was split between the island and the Oceanic 6. It seems as if forces are drawing the 6 survivors together, and that somehow it is imperative that they get back to the island. How that's going to happen I don't know. Ben seems to be plotting something, but I have no idea if his intentions are good or bad at the moment. While drama occurs on the main land, people on the island seem to be lost in space ... actually they are lost in time. How this happened, or how it's going to be fixed I have no clue. Apparently three years have passed for the Oceanic 6 while only hours have gone by on the island ... I think...

Somehow it seems as if some sort of church is involved with this, and that they only have 70 hours to get everything fixed or terrible things happen.

Ok so it's complex, I recommend doing homework if you have never seen the show before. But let me tell you this show a great ride. Up's and down's, mystery, drama, action, conspiracy, romance, and all sorts of crazy stuff. It has it all, and even if you don't get every little symbol and nuance of whats going on you can still enjoy the show because the characters are just that compelling.

No comments: