Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Kelly Clarksons new song stolen from Sarah McLachlan?

Ok so I know I'm the renegade film snob, not the renegade music snob.

Every now and again you just see, or in this case hear something that deserves to be reported on. Kelly Clarkson's new single "My Life Would Suck Without You" was leaked/released today. While I am really more of a rock and roll girl myself, I do like a few of Ms Clarkson's songs so I decided to give it a listen. When it started playing I couldn't help but think that I had heard this somewhere before. I knew the notes to the main phrases. I started wracking my brain and I suddenly realized that "My Life Would Suck Without You" was just a very poppy version of "Sweet Surrender" by Sarah McLachlan. Mind you, they probably changed things just enough keep it legal. While some of the phrases are identical the rest of the song is very different. But if you listen to the two songs you will hear a definite similarity.

Here is Kelly Clarksons song



And here is the link to Sarah McLachlans song, because the people at her record company are douche bags who won't let people embed her music videos. I mean we are only promoting the artist by posting their video's online, but hey what can you do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuEsyfTcJI8

Now you may have to give it a minute but you will notice that there are parts of the songs that are very close in terms of the notes sung and phrase length.

Edit: apparently some people are having trouble hearing how they sound alike. First off you have to imagine the Kelly Clarkson song striped down. Focus just on her voice not the annoying background music.

If you listen to the Sarah McLachlan song the specific part where she sings

"I've crossed the last line
From where I can't return
Where every step I took in faith
Betrayed me"

Or a musically similar piece

"Are you an angel
Am I already that gone
I only hope
That I won't disappoint you"

These specific parts of the music are repeated over and over again in the Kelly Clarkson song. Kelly is singing almost the exact same notes in the exact same key, except instead of going up at the end of each phrase she goes down a note or two.

No comments: