Friday, August 21, 2009

The CW Fall Preview

"Blonde Charity Mafia" is a reality series about high powered women who apparently run the DC social scene. It sounds like The Hills, meets Gossip Girl, with just a hint of social awareness. What can I say I have a difficult time believing that this will be a hit. Then again I would rather stab myself then watch The Hills, and that turned out to be a very popular show.

"Life Unexpected" is a series about a young women who has been in foster care her whole life. As the young woman attempts to have herself declared an emancipated minor, she discovers her real parents, and in an odd twist of fate the court grants custody to her biological parents. If another network was producing this show I might think of it differently; if NBC, HBO, hell even Fox Family was making this show it might end up being really good. Yet this is The CW people, the thing this network does best is creating trash-tastic and delightful guilty pleasure shows like America's Next Top Model or Gossip Girl. The premise of the show demands that the subject matter be treated in a somewhat serious way, I'm afraid this show could turn into one giant messed up soap opera.

"Melrose Place" is an update of a classic 90's soap opera. "Melrose Place" has all the makings for a successful soap opera; beautiful people, money, murder, and boat loads of drama. It's a classic formula but one that rarely fails to be amusing. Lets face it a lot of people just want to watch a trashy over the top soap opera, and I feel like the new "Melrose Place" will be successful in providing just that.

"The Beautiful Life" is about the lives of fashion models. It's pretty clear that CW decided to combine two of it's most popular shows (America Next Top Model and Gossip Girl) into one show. It looks young, hip, trash-tastic, and drama filled. I think this could be my new guilty pleasure show.

Finally we have "The Vampire Diaries" I've written about this show before in some previous entries. It's based on a book series of the same title by LJ Smith. The store is about a girl and the two brother who are fighting for her affection. The Twist, the brothers are vampires. One Brother is good, one brother is evil, and obviously the girl is in danger. I think just about any show with vampires is guaranteed to attract a lot of viewers at the moment. I seriously doubt that this show will be as well acted or complex as true blood, but I think it could be a fun gothic melodrama. I hate to admit it, but as a fan of the vampire genre I really can't wait to see this show.

No comments: