Tuesday, February 10, 2009

"He's Just Not That Into You" review

Generally I am the type of girl that hates romantic comedies. I predicted the ending of "Sweet Home Alabama" and walked away after seeing five minutes of it, I nearly fell asleep during "Serendipity", and I have begrudgingly agreed to watch romantic comedies because my female friends wanted to see them.

Much to my surprise "He's Just Not that Into" was quite good. I'd say it was arguably the best romantic comedy I have ever seen.

The story follows the winding paths of peoples love lives which manage to link and intertwine brining a full cast of characters together ... or apart as the case may be.

I found the characters and their situations to be refreshingly realistic. I have known so many girls represented by the characters in this movie. I know the neurotic girl who checked her phone every five minutes in the hopes of receiving a call, I know the beautiful girl who is followed around by a love sick man that she can only feel friendship for, I have known the woman who got cheated on, and really the list could go on from there. Another great thing is that in the end not all stories have a happy ending, although some do manage to work out quite well. The movie really dissects all the myths and foibles people face in the dating world, and breaks them down into some facts (that naturally have a few exceptions)that have a lot of truth to them.

Some people are calling this the perfect date film and I'm not sure I can fully agree to that. This is considerably better then your average romantic comedy, but I'm not sure I can recommend this to men on story alone. I can however recommend this to men as a sort of anthropological study of the modern woman, if you still don't get why women act the way they do this may help you understand how we think a bit better.

The ensemble cast was great. In particularly I loved Ginnifer Goodwin's (best known as Margene in Big Love) portrayal of a very neurotic woman. She is playing the character that any sensible man would describe as being psycho, but she does it in a way that we understand her motivations and are somehow able to be completely sympathetic as she keeps making really stupid mistakes. Drew Barrymore, Kevin Connolly, Scarlett Johansen, Ben Affleck, Jennifer Connelly, and Justin Long all put out really enjoyable performances. Hell I even liked Jennifer Aniston, and normally I can't stand her.

It's one of those movies that doesn't rely on too many silly over the top gags to make us laugh, it's funny because it's so real.

I highly recommend seeing it if you have even the slightest tolerance for romantic comedies.

No comments: