Monday, October 27, 2008

Mission Statement

“What can you do with a degree in film theory?”

Truth be told I’m not sure. Normally I make up some answer about going into teaching, some area of film production, or becoming a film critic. The truth is I have no clue how to break into show business with this degree. I suppose this is where the idea for a blog came in.

If nothing else this will be a forum for me to express my opinion on film. I want to make it clear that I am not an expert by any means. Fortunately for me, there are no requirements for having an opinionated blog.

I chose the title of Renegade film snob for a reason. I remember the exact moment in college when I realized that I was a bit different from all the other film majors. I compared Quentin Tarentino to Alfred Hitchcock, and everyone in the class glared at me as if I had said the Holocaust never happened. Let’s face it kids, film snobs are often … snobs.

Film snobs will judge you for liking that Adam Sandler movie, film snobs will persecute you if you admit that you didn’t enjoy watching “The Bicycle Theif”.

Let me take a second to respond to the Film Snobs. Yes, you read it correctly, I just admitted that I did not like “The Bicycle Thief.” Yes, I also compared Quentin Tarentino to Hitchcock. Before you round up hoards of angry villagers with pitch forks, allow me to explain.

I have a very middle of the road philosophy when it comes to film. Films that are made purely for art are often difficult to relate to, boring, and more often then not depressing as hell. Take for Example the masterpiece by Jean-Luc Godard “Tout Va Bien.” It was well acted, art direction was brilliant, cinematography was wonderful, and at times the story was captivating. No one is denying that it is a brilliant work of art, it was also the most tedious thing I have ever seen in my entire life. True the tedious nature of the film was most likely intentional, but it doesn’t change the fact that you could not pay me to watch it again.

On the other hand films that are made for pure enjoyment are often empty, dumbed down for the masses, and predictable as hell. For the life of me I could not even bear to sit through movies like Vin Diesel’s “The Pacifier”. I’m having difficulty putting into words just how bad this movie is. I have made two separate attempts to watch this piece of crap and have failed each time. It’s like they took a smattering of things that had worked in other family movies and put them together in a blender till it was nothing but a a sad mutilated mess.

I think the best movies are the ones that combine art with enjoyment. The films that make you laugh and cry, the films that get you to think differently, the films that have the power make you forget about your life for a little bit; those are the films that are best in my opinion. If you watch a movie and you never want to watch it again, that is when a film has is a huge failing. A lot of films were made to make people uncomfortable, just like many pieces of art were made with the same purpose. I believe that film isn’t just an art, it’s a form of entertainment. For better or worse, I want to loose myself in a film not fight against it. I like it when a film challenged me to think differently, but I don’t like being made depressed or uncomfortable for the sake of being depressed and uncomfortable. I’m ok with being taken on an emotional rollercoaster, so long as I’m on it with a character I love and care about.

I suppose to clear it all up and actually get to my point. I am not your average film snob. There are a lot of famous and well respected films that I will admit to not liking. Alternatively there are a lot of lesser respected Hollywood films that I will admit to loving. I love film, to a degree I know what I’m taking about, and I am determined to be honest even if it means that other snobs will look down on me.

I will be writing reviews for film, television, commercials, youtube videos, and anything else that strikes my fancy. I’m a bit short on cash at the moment so there will not be many new films reviewed.

1 comment:

Grammar Girl! said...

Yay Ally! Glad you started a blogger! I added you to my must-read blog list, home skillet.