Sunday, July 12, 2009

Bruno Das Ubber Fantastich Review

I'll admit it the title is a bit overblown. It's more like Bruno the very mediocre review. Sadly I don't remember how to say mediocre in German, I came really close to failing that class.

Anyway...

I saw Bruno in theaters today, and the overall verdict is that it's good. It's not the funniest movie I've ever seen, and it was offensive as hell, but it was funny and certainly worth watching.

I have to warn you if you are easily offended do not see this movie. I mean seriously Y'all. I mean unless your a difficult person to offend I wouldn't go see this movie.

I know I stand pretty much alone here, but I did not like the Borat movie. I found all of the humor infantile, the racial and cultural jokes made me so uncomfortable I couldn't laugh. Much of Borat was centered around making fun of American's. While I can't say we don't deserve it, some of the movie was hard to watch for me.

I laughed really hard at Bruno, I don't know what that says about me, but I thought that this movie was actually funnier then Borat. The humor was every bit as crude, but perhaps I felt more comfortable with it because it was mostly poking fun at fashion and pop culture.

You should go see this movie because (if you aren't hideously offended) you will have a good laugh.

From a film studies perspective the movie is actually quite fascinating because it blends the lines between fiction and reality. Some of the skits in the movie are set up, some of them are real and often it's difficult to know for sure which is not.

Some of the movies more offensive bits are done to make a point. Sure it's absurd and offensive that Bruno would adopt a baby from Africa with as little thought as if he were getting a fashion accessory. It's sad but it does seem like some celebrities and others are adopting for reasons of image, not out of a desire to actually raise a child. Just look at the Sex and the City movie. Charlotte's adopted Asian daughter is really treated more like an accessory then a child, the movie even goes on to make a very big deal about Charlotte getting pregnant showing that she can now have a "real child". It makes me sick but celebrities tend to get caught up in the strangest trends involving adoption, dangerous diets, and religion. Bruno makes fun of celebrity culture and all the things one must do to achieve celebrity.

But I digress.

Really I feel like the previews for Bruno gave away too much already so I won't say anything else about the movie. If you are not easy offended it's a pretty funny movie, if you are easily offended don't even think of seeing it.

No comments: